What's a mama,Danny?什麽是媽媽,丹尼?
It's a horse! 媽媽是馬
A race horse. 賽馬
Mamas are thoroughbreds, the best race horses in the world. 媽媽是純種馬,世界最好的賽馬。
2、
Why?Why?Why?為什麽?為什麽?為什麽?
I think you land people 我想妳們岸上的人
waste a lot of time asking yourselves why.把時間都浪費在問為什麽了
Winter comes and you can't wait for summer.冬天剛到就等不及夏天
and in summer you live in dread of winter.夏天來到又害怕冬天的降臨
You're always chasing some place you aren't,where it's always summer.總是在尋找不屬於妳的四季如夏的世外桃源
Doesn't sound good to me.我想這並不適合我
3、
Nineteen Hundred knew how to read! 1900懂得怎麽解讀
He knew how to read the signs that people carry on them:他能參透他們的舉手投足
places,sounds,scents,他們的階層,聲音,氣味
their land,their story,everything written on them.他們的故鄉,他們的故事,他們壹切的印記
He would read and,with infinite care catalogue,organize,and make order他可以解讀,通過不斷地觀察、分析、組織
in that immense map that he was drawing in his mind.並在自己的腦海裏繪制壹幅巨大的地圖
Maybe he'd never seen the world,或許他沒有親歷其境
but for almost 30 years the world had been passing on that ship.三十年,他的世界都在船上渡過
And for almost 30 years on that ship, he'd been spying on it.and he would steal its soul.
這三十年來,在船上他對世界冷眼旁觀,卻得其神髓。
4、
Tell the truth,are you scared?老實說,怕不怕?
I don't know.我不知道
Why a duel?What happens when you have a duel?為什麽決鬥?結果會怎麽樣?
It seemed like he really didn't care much.他好像對此不以為意
like he didn't even understand it.But he was curious.他好像不太明白,他只是很好奇
He wanted to hear how the devil the inventor ofjazz played.他想聽聽這個爵士發明人彈得究竟如何
I believe he thought that he could learn something new.我想他以為籍此能學到點新東西,
He didn't have any sporting sense.他沒有競爭的體育精神
He didn't give a damn who won,it was the rest that amazed him!他不在乎結局,是其他的東西吸引他
5、
The voice is...more than a big scream.海的聲音就像是..在吶喊
It tells you that life is immense.告訴妳人生是無限的
Once you've heard it,you know what you have to do to go on living.妳壹旦聽到,就明白自己的生命應該如何度過
But of I get off,live on land for a couple of years,I'd be normal.如果我下船,在岸上生活幾年以後
like all the others.變得和別人壹樣
Then one day I'll leave,get to a coast,也許有壹天 我會離開 到海邊
look up,see the ocean and I'll hear it scream.再壹次傾聽它的吶喊
6、
I' ve always wanted you to get off and play for the people in land.我壹直希望妳能離開這條船把音樂帶給岸上的人
and marry a nice woman and have children.娶得賢妻,養群孩子
and all those things in life which perhaps aren't immense.所有這些,雖然不是妳說的那樣無限
but are worth the effort.但都值得嘗試
7、
It wasn't what I saw that stopped me.我不是因為看到了什麽才停下
It was that I didn't see.是我看不到的
In all that sprawling city,there was everything except an end.那些漫無邊際的城市,可以說
There was everything.什麽都不缺
But there wasn't an end.就是沒有盡頭
What I couldn't see was where all that came to an end.我看不到東西的盡頭
The end of the world.世界的盡頭
Take a piano.比如說鋼琴
The keys begin,the keys end.琴鍵有始也有終
there are 88 of them and no-one are tell you differently.琴上88個鍵 壹個不多壹個也不少
They are not infinite,you are infinite.琴鍵是有限的,但妳是無限的
And on those 88 keys the music that you can make is infinite.在這些琴鍵上所能創造出來的音樂,那才是無限的。
I like that.這個我喜歡
That I can live by.也是我願意做的
But you get me up on that gangway and roll out a keyboard 但是在舷梯上
with millions of keys without an end.擺在我面前的琴鍵有成千上萬,永遠也數不完
there's no end to them.That keyboard is infinite.根本就沒有盡頭,這個鍵盤太大
But if that keyboard is infinite,there's no music you can play!而在這個無限大的鍵盤上 妳根本就無法去演奏
You're sitting on the wrong bench!這不是為凡人準備的
That's God's piano.這是上帝的鋼琴
Christ!Did you see the streets?There were thousands of them! 妳沒有看見那些街道嗎?有上千條!
How do you choose just one?妳怎麽去選擇哪壹個?
One woman,one house,壹個女人 壹棟房子
one piece of land to call your own,one landscape to look at,壹塊屬於自己的土地 壹片窗外的風景
one way to die.壹種死亡的方式
All that world weighing down on you without you knowing where it ends.所有這些問題都湧到妳面前,妳卻不知盡頭
Aren't you scared ofjust breaking apart 妳難道就從來沒有被這種想法嚇得要死嗎
just thinking about it,the enormity of living in it?這樣的日子是多麽的恐怖
I was born on this ship.我就出生在這裏
The world passed me by,but two thousand people at a time.世界從我身邊經過,但只有2千人壹次
And there were wishes here,這裏有夢想
but never more than could fit on a ship,between prow and stern.而又永遠不會走出船頭船尾
You played out your happiness on a piano that was not infinite.妳可以在有限的鋼琴上,表達出無限的快樂來。
I learned to live that way.這樣才是我的生活
Land.陸地
is a ship too big for me.對我來說是太大的船
It's a woman too beautiful.就像女人太漂亮
It's a voyage too long,Perfume too strong.旅途太長,香水太濃
It;s music I don't know to make.這支曲子 我不知道從何彈起
I can't get off this ship.我永遠離不開這條船
At best, I can step off my life.不過 我可以結束自己的生命
After all,it's as though I never existed.反正對別人來說,我也不存在