當愛向妳們召喚的時候,跟隨著他,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
雖然他的路程是艱險而陡峻.
And when his wings enfold you , yield to him,
當他的翅翼圍卷妳們的時候,屈服於他,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
雖然那藏在羽翮中間的劍刃也許會傷毀妳們.
And when he speaks to you , believe in him,
當他對妳們說話的時候,信從他,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams as the north wind lays waste the garden.
雖然他的聲音會把妳們的夢魂南擊碎,如同北風吹荒了林園.
For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you.
愛雖給妳加冠,他也要把妳釘在十字架上.
Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
他雖栽培妳,他也刈剪妳.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
他雖升到妳的最高處,撫惜妳在日中顫動的枝葉,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.
他也要降到妳的根下,搖動妳的根柢的壹切關節,使之歸土.
Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
如同壹捆稻粟,他把妳束聚起來.
He threshes you to make you naked.
他舂打妳使妳赤裸.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
他篩分妳使妳脫殼.
He grinds you to whiteness.
他磨碾妳直至潔白.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
他揉搓妳直至柔韌;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.
然後他送妳到他的聖火上去,使妳成為上帝聖筵上的聖餅.
All these things shall love do
這些都是愛要給妳們做的事情,
unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,
使妳知道自己心中的秘密,
and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.
在這知識中妳便成了”生命”心中的壹屑.
But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,
假如妳在妳的疑懼中,只尋求愛的和平與逸樂,
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
那不如掩蓋妳的裸露,而射過愛的篩打,而走入那沒有季候的世界,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter,
在那裏妳將歡笑,卻不是盡量的笑悅,
and weep, but not all of your tears.
妳將哭泣,卻沒有流幹眼淚.
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
愛除自身外無施與,除自身外無接受.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
愛不占有,也不被占有.
For love is sufficient unto love.
因為愛在愛中滿足了.
When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart,"
當妳愛的時候,妳不要說”上帝在我的心中”,
but rather, "I am in the heart of God."
卻要說”我在上帝的心裏”.
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.
不要想妳能導引愛的路程,因為若是他覺得妳配,他就導引妳.
Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
愛沒有別的願望,只要成全自己.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
但若是妳愛,而且需求願望,就讓以下的做妳的願望吧:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
溶化了妳自己,像溪流般對清夜吟唱著歌曲.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
要知道過度溫存的痛苦.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
讓妳對於愛的了解毀傷了妳自己;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
而且甘願地喜樂地流血.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
清晨醒起,以喜颺的心來致謝這愛的又壹日;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
日中靜息,默念愛的濃歡;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
晚潮退時,感謝地回家;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.
然後在睡時祈禱,因為有被愛者在妳心中,有贊美之歌在妳的唇上.