我離開弗吉尼亞州諾福克的家
California on my mind.
心裏想著加利福尼亞
Straddled that greyhound, rode him past raleigh,
乘坐著灰狗巴士,穿過了羅利(北卡羅萊納州的首府)
On across caroline.
穿過了卡羅琳
Stopped in charlotte and bypassed rock hill,
在夏洛特市下車,然後繞行洛克希爾,
And we never was a minute late.
我們分秒必爭
We was ninety miles out of atlanta by sundown,
日落前,我們已經駛離亞特蘭大90英裏
Rollin' 'cross the georgia state.
行駛穿越在佐治亞州的土地上
We had motor trouble it turned into a struggle,
我們的發動機出了點問題,車子掙紮著前行
Half way 'cross alabam,
And that 'hound broke down and left us all stranded
In downtown birmingham.
在穿越阿拉巴馬的半路上,巴士徹底熄火,把我們擱在了伯明翰。
Straight off, i bought me a through train ticket,
我毫不猶豫的買了張火車票
Ridin' cross mississippi clean
幹凈利落的坐上火車穿越密西西比
And i was on that midnight flyer out of birmingham
那個午夜,我坐著火車飛駛離開了伯明翰
Smoking into new orleans.
呼嘯著進入新奧爾良
Somebody help me get out of louisiana
有好心人捎了我壹程,帶我離開了路易斯安那
Just help me get to houston town.
把我帶到了休斯頓
There's people there who care a little 'bout me
總會有些人願意助我壹臂之力
And they won't let the poor boy down.
他們不會讓我這個窮小子失望
Sure as you're born, they bought me a silk suit,
我剛出生的時候,他們就給我買了套西服
Put luggage in my hands,
現在,讓我帶上我的行李,
And i woke up high over albuquerque
On a jet to the promised land.
在前往阿爾布開克的飛機上醒來,去尋找自己的前程樂土
Workin' on a t-bone steak a la carte
吃著壹塊飛機上提供的帶骨牛排
Flying over to the golden state;
飛越加利福尼亞州
The pilot told me in thirteen minutes
13分鐘後,機長跟我說,
We'd be headin' in the terminal gate.
我們馬上就要降落
Swing low sweet chariot, come down easy
感覺就像輕輕搖晃的馬車,降落很緩和
Taxi to the terminal zone;
的士來到降落區
Cut your engines, cool your wings,
關掉引擎後,飛機不再搖晃
And let me make it to the telephone.
(下了飛機)我就可以打壹通電話
Los angeles give me norfolk virginia,
洛杉磯,請給我接通弗吉尼亞的諾福克
Tidewater four ten o nine
濱海區,電話號碼是 41009
Tell the folks back home this is the promised land callin'
我告訴家裏的親人,我現在到了目的地
And the poor boy's on the line
妳們的窮小子給妳們報平安了